Wednesday, May 23, 2007

NBA Street Homecourt Review

HE'S ON FIRE!

Many will remember the "He's on fire!" quote from NBA JAM, which was my favorite "crazy" basketball game. I did not play NBA Street from the series so this is my first Street game and I'm impressed.

Gameplay: 9/10
Ok. I'm not into NBA or Basketball, except I do play the sports sometimes but I'm not into Basketball simulation. I played the NBA 2k and live series before but it bores me. Homecourt is different. It's like NBA JAM, with crazy moves and dunks and no official rules. The controls are pretty easy to pick up and I'm finding more and more crazy moves each time I play the game.

I read that EA Big has redone the game from scratch and they took the street series, refined it but fans of the street series told me they've reduced the number of moves.

Apart from the usual way to score in a basketball game, you can do tricks which will increase this gamebreaker meter, and when you've reach the max, you can do a special where in this time limit, you can perform as many tricks as you can which will lead to additional points when you finally score. The thing is, when you're doing tricks, you're vulnerable with the ball being stolen and the opposite team can counter your gamebreaker. This risk and reward system works very well.

Graphics: 10/10
From presentation, models of players, environment to animations of the players, everything is top notch. This is truly a game to show off nex-gen graphics. I love the filter effects on the game as well.

Sound: 9/10
Not much to talk about the sound. Everything is great but the voices of the players are repetitive sometimes.

Value: 9/10
The game features a "career" mode where you play against challenges of other teams just like any other sports game. There's online mode as well and there's a mode where you can switch off the crazy moves and play a normal basketball game.

Final thoughts:
Homecourt is an amazing experience for me. Fans of the series might be disappointed because they redefined the game from scratch but at least rent it. For me, it's a must buy if you love games like NBA JAM.

Final Score 9.2/10

I posted this review in Gamespot's player review.

Here's a video review from Gametrailers:

No comments: