Monday, September 10, 2007

My Lair review

Riding dragons in a war, with motion control is truly a dream come true for me. This game received many different ratings, from 4.5 to 9. Here's what I think.

Gameplay: 9/10
"WHAT THE ****!?" are my first thoughts when I first played the game. Using motion controls could be Factor 5's worst decision. However, after getting used to the controls, I would say they've nailed it. Please understand that controlling a dragon is like controlling a horse. You can't expect it to turn like a Ferrari could you?

The game missions are pretty straightforward. Your commander give you orders and you do as they say. Some people may be lost without a radar, but arrows are shown to tell you where to go, and the Rage vision when pressing (D pad) down allows you to see highlighted enemies in the messy warzone.

I would say gameplay is a 9 for me since I'm fine with the motion controls, but a 5 for those who can't get used to it. I understand that it might be fustrating at first, but hey, pilots don't just learn to fly a plane in 1 day.

Graphics: 9/10
Overall graphics and atmosphere are excellent; sharp and highly detailed. Using data and texture streaming, Factor 5 is able to squeeze in 2 GB of details into a level. Pretty amazing despite some people saying streaming doesn't work for PS3 because of the 1.5x slower (compared to 12x DVD) Bluray Drive. Rubbish. The load times are pretty fast as well.

Sound: 10/10
OMG. I expect the music to be good, but it is on par with movies like Lord of the Rings.

Value: 8/10
Lack of offline and online multiplayer, but it's single player missions are really fun and a dream come true for me.

Final conclusion:
Rent it first to see if you can get used to the controls. For those who gave up after a few mins, you don't know what you're missing out.

Video:

No comments: